Grilled vegetables are of course the ideal side dish for a delicious summer barbecue, and you can feel free to use whatever vegetables you like! If you choose some of the harder ones (like the carrot in this salad, for example) cook them shortly before you put them on the grill or barbecue. This will shorten the grill time considerably, and you’ll still get that great taste.
Recipe for 4-6 people
Preparation time: 25 minutes
250 g small (baby) carrots, with leaves
2 bunches of spring onion, with the bottoms and long green tops removed
Mild olive oil to cook with
2 zucchini, cut lengthwise in thin pieces of around 3 mm
1 bunch of green asparagus, with the hard ends cut off
2 heads of little gem salad, cut into strips
2 balls of mozzarella, torn into pieces
Ingredients for vinaigrette
4 tbs soy sauce
4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 red pepper, with seeds and stalk removed
1 tbs honey
Juice from 1 lime
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a pan of water to a boil and blanch the carrots and spring onions for no longer than 2 minutes.
2. In the meantime, prepare the vinaigrette by mixing all of the ingredients together.
3. Coat a grill pan with a small amount of olive oil and cook the carrots and spring onions in it until they are al dente, around 6 to 7 minutes. Keep turning them now and then. Afterwards, put them on a plate.
4. Grill the zucchini until they are al dente in the same way: coat the grill pan with a bit of oil and lay the pieces of courgette in it. Make sure that they don’t cook too fast. Turn them when you start to see some nice stripes, around 2 minutes per side. Place the zucchini with the carrots and spring onions.
5. Grill the asparagus on a high flame for around 5 minutes until they are al dente.
6. Place everything in a big bowl, divide the mozzarella and the little gem salad over it and sprinkle everything with the vinaigrette. If desired, use salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.